by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
The Education Destination : Australia The Education Destination 2012
>AustrAliAn EducAtion 2012 89 International students are supported at government schools through a range of dedicated programs and friendly staff members to guide students through their new school experience and life in the broader community. Schools monitor student attendance, academic progress and liaise with parents. Government schools can also assist with English language training. The ACT Department of Education and Training, for example, has four Introductory English Centres at the primary and secondary school level to help develop skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening before students start school. independent And cAtholic schools Independent schools are non- government schools. Many independent schools provide a religious or values- based education. Others promote a particular education philosophy or interpretation of mainstream education. The majority of international students attend independent schools in Australia. An independent school operates separately from government administration – while in accordance with government standards and regulations. Independent schools include small and large day schools, boarding schools, co- educational, and single-sex schools. Independent schools are not-for-profit institutions founded by religious or other groups in the community and are registered with the relevant State or Territory education authority. Many independent schools operate along religious lines, including: Christian schools; Lutheran; Jewish; Catholic; Islamic; Uniting Church; Presbyterian; and Anglican schools. Other independent schools are not affiliated with any particular religious philosophy. The independent schools sector makes up about 40% of the overall non-government school sector. The Catholic sector makes up the remaining 60%. Some Catholic schools are also independent schools. Independent and Catholic schools are located across Australia, covering metropolitan, regional and rural and remote areas. Parents choose a particular school because they believe in the school’s ethos and educational philosophy and they believe it is best for their child. Catholic schools have been a major component of Australian education for over 175 years. They offer a broad and comprehensive curriculum, providing quality teaching and learning outcomes for all students. Independent and Catholic schools have excellent resources and facilities for their students. They provide high quality teachers, who are focused on helping their students strive for academic excellence and progress to university. Independent schools offer a broad range of co-curricular activities across the arts, music, drama and sport. They often have exceptional sporting grounds on their campuses and school teams playing in a variety of weekend sporting competitions. Students are given every opportunity to learn new skills or hone their existing talents. International students are welcomed and supported throughout their school lives. Many independent and Catholic schools have boarding houses, which care for students from across Australia and the world. The schools stay in regular contact with parents across all matters. Students are encouraged to excel, to be challenged and to develop academically, personally and physically. Whichever type of school you choose, you can be assured that it will provide a high quality education for your child. ● >Find out morE Government schools www.studyinaustralia.gov.au Independent Schools Council of Australia www.isca.edu.au National Catholic Education Commission www.ncec.catholic.edu.au Left: Independent schools offer excellent facilities for their students and some offer the International Baccalaureate. Image: Geelong Grammar, Victoria.
Australia The Education Destination 2011
Australia The Education Destination 2013